Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tony Rome (Gordon Douglas, 1967)


PI mystery with Frank Sinatra. Sounds like a bad joke, but it’s - surprisingly - quite okay and definitely above average. I’m pretty sure it was adopted from Marvin H. Albert’s book especially for Sinatra and he created his character more like Lew Archer type than Phillip Marlowe which is okay. Or let’s say bearable.

Story involves lots of characters and gets really complicated, so ending doesn’t even need some big twist. For me it was rewarding enough that it ended and made sense. More or less…

I was a bit disappointed with performance of Gena Rowlands. She doesn’t seem to put any real effort into it and I would like to think she did just for the money to help her husband create one of his masterpieces Faces the following year. But on the other hand Jill St. John is charming (Slut... That's just a nickname. Only my dearest friends use it.) and total revelation to me. She does ring a bell but I honestly don’t really remember her from any movie. But in those few scenes she has she really steals this one from Frankie boy.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment